Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Trudeau supports incest?


Liberal's float at the Toronto Pride Parade 2009
Click picture for larger image


During the 2009 Toronto Pride Parade, some political parties have their floats to support the event, e.g., the Liberals, and the NDP. The Liberal’s float is a double-decker bus with a banner across the upper deck that says, “The state has no business in the bedroom of the nation.” On the left is a picture of George Smitherman, a Member of Provincial Parliament representing Toronto Centre, and on the right is a picture of Bob Rae, a (federal) Member of Parliament representing the same riding Toronto Centre (see the picture above).

Being the first time I read/heard this statement, I totally agree that the nation should not be nosing around and regulate what people do in their private home. I never like police-state governments. Governments should not over-regulate, and yet they should maintain fairness across all its citizens.

I thought the statement was made by Bob Rae because he is in the federal politics. After I got home, I did some googling, and found that it was Pierre Elliott Trudeau who made this remark on December 21, 1967 when he was Canada’s Minister of Justice, prior to becoming Canada’s 15th Prime Minister in April, 1968.

This statement was in my mind on and off many times a few days after the parade. As long as the adults are consenting, it should not be the nation’s business to probe around whether they are heterosexual or homosexual, gay or lesbian, or any other sexual orientations.

Then I stumbled on a thought: What if the consenting adults are closely related? Like father and daughter, mother and son, or brother and sister? Or even father and son, mother and daughter, for that matter?

Incest, I believe, is still criminal in Canada. I am 200% against incest. Trudeau’s statement does not have pre-qualifications on the consenting adults, and to be fair and open, it should also include incestuous adults. One may arguably conclude that Pierre Trudeau supports incest.

Where to draw the line? Can someone please help me fathom it?

No comments:

Post a Comment