Friday, July 3, 2009

Toronto Pride Parade 2009


This past Sunday (June 28, 2009) I went to see Toronto’s 29th Annual Pride Parade. It was my first time actually seeing the parade in person. I had watched it on the TV in previous years. I am not gay, and I am not against gay. In fact, I have no problem at all with some of my friends being gay.

The parade was to start at 2:00pm. I arrived at the intersection of Yonge and Bloor at about 1:30pm. It was raining, heavier at times. Soon after the parade began, the rain waned into drizzles.

But there were things I saw that really puzzled me. There was a man with long hair – his hair was down halfway to his back – at first I thought he was a woman. He was completely naked and I could clearly see his penis swinging as he walked with the float – this was how I ascertained that he was not a woman but a man. I wanted to take a photo, but it was too late; he walked past me. I missed taking a picture of him in the front.

Later on, there was another man on the float. He did not wear anything but just used a piece of cloth to wrap around his waist, but he did not wrap it well (on purpose perhaps?) so that his penis half-shown and half-hidden. This time I took a picture, even though it doesn’t show that well. The red circle in the picture shows what should not be shown in public.


man showing his private part in public
Click the picture for a larger image.


There was a woman who just showed her bare boobs outright. There were two or three other woman who did not have anything on their upper bodies except covered with paint, and one could clearly see their boobs and teats clearly. But, of course, one could still argue that this is not nudity because it was covered in paint.


woman showing in public her boobs under paint
Click the picture for a larger image.


My understanding is that public nudity is against the law. Actually I believe it’s a crime because the Canada Criminal Code forbids it. There were police watching. Why didn’t they take any action? Do I understand the law wrong? Or is it that being gay or lesbian is above the law? Someone please help me fathom it.

I welcome your comments.


No comments:

Post a Comment